Need help: Test Downloading SignBank on the web...

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Tue Oct 7 07:32:50 UTC 2003

> Dear SW List, Nana and Charles -
> Charles just telephoned me to tell me that it took soooo long to
> download the large SignBank on the web, that he was unable to finish
> the download...In his case, the zip file was there on his desktop, but
> with nothing in it! Meanwhile with my very fast cable modem
> (broadband), I have no problems and I download it in less than five
> minutes and there are always files there...

I started downloading and the files will be here in 10 minutes.

But I need to talk about my experience in India with downloading
files. The phones are not so good in developping countries and
I realized that downloads of more than 10 megabytes are
impossible because of disconnects.

At a rate of 1 kb a second the runtime is downloaded in
44 thousand seconds, that means 12 hours. That would
be manageable but the disconnects force the people to
restart from scratch and usually there is a disconnect every
hour or so.

To make downloads possible you have two options (and you
could combine both): Support resumable downloads and split
the file in say 10 smaller parts of 5 megabytes each.

Please ask someone knowlegdeable about resumable downloads
and splitting files. People from countries with bad phone lines
will be very grateful.

I looked at the Download Manager now and about two thirds of
the stuff is on my computer!

Cheers!
Daniel