Finnish Towns

Thu Oct 9 19:02:40 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 9, 2003

Nitsu - All these new symbols can easily be added to SignBank or
SW-Edit, and in a few years, in SignWriter Java too...so it is just a
matter of time. Right now you have to survive with what we have, so
just write it as you did, or wait until I come out with SignBank for
Research Use in March, 2004. I am not saying no...I am just saying I
don't have software for you right now...can you wait until March?
smile...and this is not strange at all...there has never been a written
form for the world's signed languages before in history, and in 30
years we have accomplished more than what other writing systems have
taken centuries to create...so we can give the software a little more
time! The symbols exist, and the software has to catch up ;-)

By the way, Chinese characters had trouble being typed in the beginning
too...only in recent times has it become easier, because of Unicode and
other developments...

Val ;-)

------------------------------

Nitsu Pikkupyora wrote:
> [...]
>

> >From: Valerie Sutton

> >To: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
>

> >Subject: Re: Finnish Towns
>

> >Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:16:23 -0700
>

> >SignWriting List
>

> >October 8, 2003
>

> >But, Nitsu, here is my opinion -
>

> >I believe that writing those inbetween palm facings is a good idea
>

> >for
>

> >Research Use, but for Everyday Use, I would choose to write the
>

> >Finnish, Norwegian and American signs for HOUSE the same...YES...I
>

> >know
>

> >that the Finnish and Norwegian signs do have a different plam facing
>

> >than the American...but does such detail really matter for Everyday
>

> >Use?...
>

> >When I moved to Denmark, as a hearing person, I had to learn my
>

> >second
>

> >spoken language, Danish. When I looked at the word "meget" in
>

> >Danish,
>

> >which means "very" in English, I found out that in the numerous
>

> >dialects of spoken Danish, that the word "meget" is pronounced very
>

> >differently around Denmark. The Copenhagen dialect pronounced it
>

> >like
>

> >"myeth", but on the Jutland peninsula they pronounced each letter
>

> >the
>

> >way we would in English...so why don't the Copenhagen people spell
>

> >their version differently? because it would mean there would be many
>

> >ways to spell the same word, and that becomes overwhelming for
>

> >people...so spoken languages use the same Roman alphabet symbols to
>

> >represent many different sounds...as you can see in
>

> >"myeth"...Another
>

> >example in Danish: the word "mad" means "food" and the "d" at the
>

> >end
>

> >is pronounced with a "th", like "math" except ...it is slightly
>

> >different than the English "th" - so it is not like "math", but with

> >unique "d" sound to the Danish language...smile...writing those
>

> >differences would be rediculous for everyday use...
>

> >In spoken languages, we have the International Phonetic Alphabet
>

> >(IPA),
>

> >which is supposed to have a way to write these differences...so I am
>

> >suggesting that our Research Use symbolset (SSS-2004) is like the
>

> >IPA...and you may want to use that for your research...but when
>

> >writing
>

> >the sign for HOUSE daily, I would suggest using this standard
>

> >spelling
>

> >(see diagram)...So how would a person know how to pronouce the sign
>

> >for
>

> >HOUSE in the US and Finland?..When they live in the US, they will
>

> >learn
>

> >to pronouce it the way they sign it in the US, and when they move to
>

> >Finland, the Finnish deaf people will teach them to do the
>

> >orientation
>

> >a little bit differently, but the sign will be spelled the same
>

> >between
>

> >the countries...smile...I hope this rediculously long answer has not

<image.tiff>