Spanish literacy through SW

Sun Oct 12 17:09:47 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 12, 2003

James Shepard-Kegl wrote:
> Attached are samples from correspondence and homework assignments that
> received from Bluefields, Nicaragua today.  I pass these on to you
> because
> all this is a product of our curriculum that first teaches sign
> language
> literacy skills using SW for a period of years, and then transitions
> the
> students to Spanish as a second language.

Hello Everyone, and James!
Thank you for the Word Document, James, which I attached again to this
message...The samples of Spanish that you present in the document are
all written with the Roman Alphabet - ha!

Did you have diagrams in SignWriting in Nicaraguan Sign Language to go
along with the Spanish texts?  Or are you saying that because of years
of SignWriting in school, that the students can now handle written
Spanish because of the SignWriting background?

There are several researchers on the SignWriting List who are trying to
determine if SignWriting helps Deaf people learn to read and write
spoken languages, so I am sure people will want to know more detail
about your successful program...

If others have results showing that SignWriting assists Deaf students
to learn to read and write spoken languages, please post a message to
the List...We would love to hear your story - Val ;-)