SignWriting Volunteers Needed in Nicaragua

Sun Oct 12 17:13:43 UTC 2003

> SW List,
> Please see attached regarding volunteering opportunity in Nicaragua.
> -- James Shepard-Kegl

----------------------------------

SignWriting List
October 12, 2003

Dear SW List Members:
Here is James' document inside an email message, for those who do not
use MicroSoft Word...

Notice that SignWriting is a part of the curriculum in the school in
Nicaragua...perhaps someone on the SignWriting List will want to
volunteer to teach in Nicaragua?...That would be a great experience!
Val ;-)

Nicaraguan Sign Language Projects, Inc. is seeking
VOLUNTEER FACILITATORS
for our school in
Bluefields, Nicaragua

Mission Statement:
NSLP, Inc. administers programs designed to empower Nicaragua's
emergent Deaf communities by fostering nationalization of the
indigenous signed language, by training natively fluent Deaf
Nicaraguans to be school teachers and role models, and by providing
academic and vocational training to Deaf youth.  NSLP, Inc. is a
non-profit, charitable corporation.  We are not affiliated with any
religious denomination.  Our school in Bluefields is operated in
collaboration with the Bluefields Chapter of Los Pipitos, a
non-governmental advocacy organization for families with children with
disabilities.

Facilitators team teach with Deaf Nicaraguan teachers and teacher
trainees.  Facilitators explain movies and books to Deaf teachers who
in turn present the content to Deaf students using Nicaraguan Sign
Language.  Facilitators assist teachers in preparing and implementing
daily lesson plans.

Requirements:
1)  Fluency in any sign language coupled with a commitment to
      respect the integrity of Nicaragua's indigenous sign language.
2)  Good command of world history.
3)  Ability to read and write in English and Spanish.
4)  Familiarity with SignWriting preferred, but we will
      train.
5)  Background in Education or Linguistics preferred.
6)  Motivation, creativity and the ability to work in
      difficult conditions with limited supervision.
           7)  Dedication:  the willingness to work in a hot, humid
      climate in an impoverished country with minimal support
      services for a period of no less than six months.
8)  Excellent references and a criminal background check.

Bluefields:  a small city located on the southeastern edge of
Nicaragua's Atlantic rain forest region.  Climate is tropical year
round, and characterized by high humidity and substantial rainfall.
The population is split between English and Spanish speaking
neighborhoods.  Unemployment is estimated to be at 85%.  Most homes
have electricity; few homes have running water.  Telephone, Internet
and cable television services are reliable.

Accommodations:  NSLP, Inc. furnishes room and board.  Facilitators
live in the Dorm House with other faculty.  (No smokers.)  We are not
able to provide a salary nor stipend.  Travel costs are reimbursed in
installments for facilitators who fulfill their terms.

We offer a wonderful opportunity to be extraordinarily productive while
helping a delightful group of children and young adults under demanding
working conditions.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
please contact:  James Shepard-Kegl
kegl at maine.rr.com