Possible rotation marker

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 14 18:25:20 UTC 2003

Hello folks,

I flagged this by Valerie, and she has assured me that
it is part of the normal development of Sign Writing
for different signers to come up with different
solutions.

I had a brainstorm about a way to show 45 degree
angles on all hands without resorting to 3/4 shadings
which for some hands which have very narrow squares or
oblongs may be difficult, even in handwriting.

Take a look at this and tell me what you think.  The
shaded circles are meant to show where the back of the
hand is, so you can, from the orientation of the palms
take a first orientation, front, back, sticking out
horizontally, and then with the slashed circle show
the  "45 degree orientation" relative to that axis.
This way you only need to have 4 symbols to show the
"/" orientation for ANY hand, not multiple shadings
beyond the three major axes.

I've shown the "boat" and "book" hands with 1/2 shade
to give the feel for the "palm facing the reader" in
the center.  This is EXPERIMENTAL.  What do folks feel
about it.  It makes for quick writing for all of those
signs that are 45 angles if you need to show that for
understanding.

Charles Butler

--- Valerie Sutton <Sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
> SignWriting List
> October 14, 2003

-> Dear SW List Members: