new methods for signwriting input

Wed Oct 15 22:23:51 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 15, 2003

Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> Thanks - I would really like to visit your laboratory - I think that's
> where I'm
> the most likely to find deafs with the most experience in signwriting.

Hello Guylhem!
And welcome to the SignWriting List! And thanks for your interest in
programming with SignWriting - we have a list of programmers now, and
that is wonderful. As you know, you can download free SignWriting
software on the web, including SignWriter DOS, SignWriter Java and
SignBank:

Download
http://www.SignWriting.org/downloads

Antonio Carlos is the developer of SWML. Daniel Noelpp is working on
updating SignWriter Java. Stuart Thiessen is hoping to work on Unicode
and TrueType. Michael Everson, the Unicode expert, has already
established a Unicode project with the international committee. Steven
Aerts and Bart Braem in Belgium are the programmers who just did some
SVG...and there are plenty more programmers who come and go on this
List ;-))

Years ago I did have Deaf staff members, native signers who helped me
and it was wonderful!! Actually, I work alone out of my home now, and I
do not have a Deaf staff any longer. Thousands of people are using
SignWriting around the world, and they have never met me, because
SignWriting is living and breathing with or without me... It is free on
the web, so the users keep growing...

Some SignWriting members visit me occasionally, but when they do, they
are working alone with me in my home...A couple of times, groups of
Deaf people come to visit me, from different countries, and certainly,
as a programmer using SignWriting, Guylhem, you will be welcome to work
with me....But I cannot promise any Deaf people to be here too...that
depends on who else is visiting at the time...Are you Deaf yourself?

Meanwhile there is an internet community that uses SignWriting. Plus
you can witness Deaf children using SignWriting in Germany, Brazil,
Switzerland, Nicaragua and New Mexico...so you might want to contact
the groups in those countries, to go to visit them to observe Deaf
people using SignWriting...

So I am the source for the publications and symbols, but others are
doing the teaching...

I noticed that Antonio Carlos gave you a big welcome and invitation to
visit them in Brazil and that would be fantastic! Deaf children are
using SignWriting in Brazil and that would be an excellent way for you
to study the deaf using the writing system...visit Marianne's classes -
she is a teacher of the deaf in Brazil and is Deaf herself...Please see
the attached photo of one of her students...