AW: Symmetry of the Full Circle

Charles Butler chazzer3 at EROLS.COM
Thu Oct 16 14:55:02 UTC 2003

I like the idea of a line and a "fat" arc for the "circle" hand, and a square with a curved edge for the square hand.  The two are distinct from each other, and enable one to show rotations.

Charles

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bill Reese
  To: SW-L at admin.humberc.on.ca
  Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 10:51 AM
  Subject: Re: AW: Symmetry of the Full Circle

  Val,
  I'd like to jump in here with an observation.  Rather than show knuckles for that side of the hand would it be possible to just show an arc in the square and a line in the circle?  See attached.
  Bill

  Valerie Sutton wrote:

    SignWriting List
    October 16, 2003

    Stefan Woehrmann wrote:

      I am really sooooooooooooo impressed. I am sorry that I cannot
      contribute
      anything in this field of software - programming- But if it comes down
      questions on how we use SW44 or in case of basic spelling questions I
      will
      be happy to support you in this so important task to switch typing SW
      from
      DOS to s.th different that will run without trouble  (crossed fingers)
      under
      XP, Win2000  etc.

    Hello Stefan!
    Great to hear from you, and I only wish we were at the stage where we
    could discuss spelling signs again! But Daniel and I are discussing
    symbols, not signs, because when Rich Gleaves did some special
    programming inside SignWriter DOS, to try to take care of the Circle
    Hand's palm facing glitches, no special programming could solve it,
    without the handshape itself changing its look...So let me ask you a
    question from a signer's and teacher's perspective....Would this help
    you, to read signs, if we changed the Circle Hand symbol, and the
    square for a fist too, to look like this? (see attached GIF)... Which
    do you like better?..adding the knuckles gives us all the palm facings
    clearly...but it does add more to write by hand...and I don't want to
    add these knuckles to all 100 handshapes...and that could be another
    problem...it may start to change all the handshapes, if we make this
    one change...I have not made any decisions yet...If we can keep the
    symbols as they are, it would be better, if Daniel can find a way to
    program it...Val ;-)