Handwriting in vertical columns...

Sun Oct 19 15:57:09 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 19, 2003

Dear SW List:
It appears that I have a minor form of walking-pneumonia. I am fine,
but I will be getting some bed-rest now for a couple of weeks...I hope
to be back on the List in November...Meanwhile, a close friend who used
SignWriting in the 1980's is suddenly sending me volumes of
handwriting...and in this message she mentions the vertical column
issue, which was a big change for all those who wrote SignWriting in
the 1980's, but has proved to be a very necessary change. I think you
described it very well Charles...and Nana, I mailed you your CD last
week...

So now I am really off the List - ha! It is hard to break old habits -
I love talking with all of you!....Val ;-)

A message from a friend, with a handwriting sample:

Hi Valerie,

I found the SignWriting list; that was fun!

Here's another one. Can you "see" the ASL? Especially the last part.
Matthew helped me with the scanner because it was cutting off parts of
the page.

I enjoy writing vertically so much more! And it's funny, I knew about
it for years and resisted it. How wrong I was! :c)