SW List Listserve cannot accept PNG format....

Thu Oct 2 17:37:54 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 2, 2003

Dear SW List, Stuart, Sandy...
Thanks for your points about the .PNG format, which I believe was
developped by MacroMedia, which has also developed such famous programs
as FLASH, Director, Freehand, Dreamweaver, Fontographer and
others...PNG is an excellent new format...

BUT...we have a problem with .PNG...our ListServe software, that runs
this SW List, from a computer in Canada that is donating the service to
us....their Listserve software has problems with the .PNG format...If
you attach a PNG to an email message and then send it to the
SignWriting List, sometimes it will come in as "garbage" and it will
bounce from the SignWriting List, or create a mile of garbage inside
people's email messages...so...only GIF and JPEG work for the
SignWriting List postings...and BMP has the same problem on the SW
List...it will work "partially" but not always...so please stick to
GIFs and JPEGs ...and JPEGs are ok...if there is some "fuzz" it doesn't
matter for postings on email...which are not works of art anyway -
smile... they are just used for discussing SignSpelling issues etc...

Now...to finish...I was only talking about "software development"
regarding the legal issues with GIFs...the users have NO problems and
can use it freely...it is only a "software development" issue, and
since CompuServe gives us another "hoop to jump over", it was just
harder for us to build the GIF format into SignWriter DOS...so instead
we chose BMP because it was the easiest for us...but that does not mean
that any user has to worry about using the GIF format from Photoshop or
other programs...it is only the problem of finding software that CAN
create GIFs...there are not as many as JPEGs, which is totally open to
software developpers, I believe...I hope that GIF will become public
domain someday, because it is an excellent format which we obviously
all agree with...

Val ;-)