Vector Graphics

Tue Oct 7 15:22:30 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 7, 2003

Steven Aerts in Belgium wrote:
> One of the things we would like to have is an output to the svg
> format.  Svg
> is an XML vector graphic format, which allows the images to be scaled
> to any
> size without the staircase effect as in png, jpeg or gif. (more info:
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/). Does anyone have access to the
> original symbol set or has a .svg, .wmf or .eps
> version of the set?  Those can probably be converted to the .svg
> format. Thanks in advance. Bart & Steven

Dear SW List, and Bart and Steven -
I hope, if others on the SignWriting List, have some vector graphics
symbols, please tell us!

Meanwhile, Antonio Carlos in Brazil has very politely not mentioned,
that he has actually been working on such a vector graphics set and
also svg. The reason he didn't mention this, is that the whole vector
graphics project depends on me, to check the symbols. When Antonio
Carlos came to visit me last summer, he gave me some of their vector
graphics files and then I never got the time to look at them...I have
been too busy trying to finish SignBank development. I am real close to
that goal now. I have done the last real programming changes with out
programmer, and now it is up to me to complete three things:

1. one large folder with ALL the symbols in the SSS-2002, in order,
with our special numbering system, so that programmers like yourselves
can use the symbolset for your own programs...Antonio Carlos, for
example, will be using that large file for SW-Edit...

2. one large folder with ALL the symbols in the SSS-2004, which is for
researchers...I hope to have that in March, 2004.

3. Start adding data to SignBank, and create some new printing formats
for all the unusual dictionary styles we can create now...I can do that
myself...

So I am very sorry, Steve, Bart and Antonio Carlos, that I did not get
to the vector graphics yet...so here is my question...if is send you
one large folder with ALL the symbols, Steve and Bart, could you create
the vector graphics files for the SSS-2002? I would love that!