FW: Finnish Towns

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 10 06:47:49 UTC 2003

Thanks, Charles!

I was aware of those groups but I don't think the handshapes available
satisfy the requirements of the BSL paper dictionary - they make a
distinction between a spread hand with the thumb forward, a spread hand with
the thumb forward and fingers angled, and this spread hand with the thumb
forward and fingers tense and very, very slightly angled. It's not a
distinction I would have thought of but you can see the difference in the
language easily enough once it's pointed out to you - in fact, the trouble
is that now that it's been pointed out to me I can't fail to notice it!  :)
Similarly for the other handshape.

As I said, however, the difference is subtle and these handshapes are only
used in classifiers so perhaps its just a matter of the tension usually
associated with classifiers, and just adding a tension mark will make things
clear enough.

Sandy