new methods for signwriting input

Wed Oct 15 17:54:50 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 15, 2003

From: Guylhem Aznar
sylpheed at externe.net

Hello

I'm Guylhem Aznar - a PhD student from Patrice Dalle team (irit.fr in
Toulouse,
France). I'm also a medical resident in Toulouse University Hospital.

My research work is focusing on written forms of thefsign languagen and
new
possible input methods.

My goal is to make possible to enter signwriting symbols much more
easily than
with current tools and their mouse based approach.
I plan to use sensitive areas and form recognition, like the graffiti
system
used in the palm, to let users draw the symbols onto a sensitive screen.
It will be completed by other approaches - such as a completion system
enhance speed and ease of use.

However for the 1st part of my research, I would need to study people
who
already know and use signwriting.
Problem is there is virtually no one I know in France who uses
signwriting on a
daily basis.

If possible, I would like to come to your laboratory to study how deafs
currently use signwriting - from the way their write with a paper and a
pend to
how they use current mouse based entry systems. This is a crucial part
in the
design of any new system - I must at least find out what people do with
the
current tools, what they expect them to do to try to guess how a new
system
should perform.

Additional information I may gain from such a study (like how tiny
details such
as eyes and fingers are drawn in a signwriting symbol) could become
important
for my next steps, focusing on possible unicode encryption of
signwriting
[Valerie - I read your proposal. It's good but I think it may be
possible to do
better - I'm writing every detail and will mail you soon]

My university has limited funds for such missions abroad, so it is
important to
make a good file. I will also try to raise funds from private companies
who
would like to help such a study.

My rough estimate gives a $5000 budget (equally split between travel
expenses,
staying expenses, and possible computer expenses such as software
licenses,
hardware..) and a 2 to 4 months duration. I plan to visit users
communities in
Brasil and in the United States, first studying how their write in
signwriting
with paper and pen, then studying how good the current system performs,
and
finally submitting to the users a prototype and ask for their feedback.

I speak french, english, spanish and I'm learning brasilan portugueese.
I plan
to be ready as early as january if possible.

Would you be interested in such an approach?
May I ask you if I could visit your laboratories?

I would also welcome any help to getting in touch with the users
community.

Best regards,
Guylhem