AW: Symmetry of the Full Circle

Thu Oct 16 13:56:50 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 16, 2003

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> I am really sooooooooooooo impressed. I am sorry that I cannot
> contribute
> anything in this field of software - programming- But if it comes down
> questions on how we use SW44 or in case of basic spelling questions I
> will
> be happy to support you in this so important task to switch typing SW
> from
> DOS to s.th different that will run without trouble  (crossed fingers)
> under
> XP, Win2000  etc.

Hello Stefan!
Great to hear from you, and I only wish we were at the stage where we
could discuss spelling signs again! But Daniel and I are discussing
symbols, not signs, because when Rich Gleaves did some special
programming inside SignWriter DOS, to try to take care of the Circle
Hand's palm facing glitches, no special programming could solve it,
without the handshape itself changing its look...So let me ask you a
question from a signer's and teacher's perspective....Would this help
you, to read signs, if we changed the Circle Hand symbol, and the
square for a fist too, to look like this? (see attached GIF)... Which
do you like better?..adding the knuckles gives us all the palm facings
clearly...but it does add more to write by hand...and I don't want to
add these knuckles to all 100 handshapes...and that could be another
problem...it may start to change all the handshapes, if we make this
one change...I have not made any decisions yet...If we can keep the
symbols as they are, it would be better, if Daniel can find a way to
program it...Val ;-)