AW: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT: Symmetry of the Circle Hand

Thu Oct 16 14:34:20 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 16, 2003

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> I would like to keep the Symbol - Set as small as possible - why not
> simply
> add the arm line in those cases if you feel in need of more information
> about the palm facing or back of hand facing o- hand. ? Just a thought
> ;-)

Dear SW List and Stefan!
Bravo! I agree and always have...otherwise we would have changed those
symbols long ago...of course adding the arm line is the solution we
have used all these years...

But it doesn't solve the programming issues, but I would prefer to
leave the programming problem as it is, rather than change the
symbols...let the poor programmers suffer with the code - ha!

Daniel...Rich Gleaves tried to find a solution and programmed it
specially...take a look at his source code for the simple square and
circle in SignWriter DOS and Java symbol editors...the only problem
remains is this: When a person is typing those symbols, they can't see
which palm facing they chose, because the symbol looks the same at any
palm facing...so when the documents have to convert from 95 to
99...sometimes that conversion was not perfect because the typist
didn't realize...but so what? those are tiny things that can be cleaned
up after a file is converted...