SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT: Symmetry of the Circle Hand

Thu Oct 16 14:51:41 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 16, 2003

Daniel Noelpp wrote:
> Please have a look at the modified symbols of Circle Hand and note
> where the thumb is. Isn't this neat? But it could be difficult for
> other symbols.

Unfortunately, Daniel, your diagram is incorrect. The thumb is not to
the side, so your symbol cannot be used. The thumb is forward, and the
only way you could add that, would be to have a dot in the center of
the circle, representing the projection of the thumb and fingers
forward, or to show the knuckles on the top...but we cannot use a thumb
line to the side and bent, since it is not bent, it is curved, and it
is not side, it is forward......We have to follow the rules of the
writing system...

Meanwhile, Stefan is absolutely right...adding an arm line gives the
exact palm facing at all times, but I do not want to force an arm line
on everyone at all times...so I hadn't required it for every
typist...But we could put the arm line on those handshapes in
SymbolBank, just so people could see what we mean...I will make a
diagram for the next message...