Finnish Towns

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Sat Oct 18 13:56:55 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm back in Norway with my computer working (using DOS-box and SW-DOS for
my examples).

As in Finland, we do sign 'roof' with fingers forward and hands slanted 45
degrees from horisontal.

The same is true for 'house', and even for one sign for 'town' in general.

'Boat' is 45 degrees to the floor and 45 degrees to the wall - but we do
sign it.

A system that cannot write this, is difficult to get acceptance for.

But on the other hand, I agree that the 3/4 shaded hands are too
cumbersome.

We need something that is neat, easy, and does not add to the system (at
least, very little).

So I thought: we already have two sets of symbols for movement from the
basic hands-flat-fingers-forward-palm-down.
If we combine the axis-parts of these two sets of symbols, to mean a
position, we are within the system.

This would be a set of diacritcal marks, to be used when needed.

See attached diagrams.

Ingvild