update of SW computer info requested

James/Judy Shepard-Kegl kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Sat Oct 25 01:32:42 UTC 2003

Valerie (or anyone who wants to write this succinctly),

I am updating a paper on teaching literacy using SW that I composed some
time ago.  This paper is not about SW, but about how we can use it in
teaching first and second language literacy skills.  Therefore, I try not to
describe SW beyond very general terms.

Anyway, I do mention that SW can be handwritten or produced using software.
Specifically, I wrote the following:

"SignWriting can be easily written by hand, which means we can write
sentences on a classroom chalkboard.  (There is a short form method, but we
do not use this in Nicaragua.)  The Center for Sutton Movement Writing, Inc.
also markets a software program, called SignWriter, that allows the writer
to type the aspects to form any sign.  SignWriter is an MS-DOS program
requiring 640 K bytes of memory and CGA, EGa or VGA graphics.  A hard disk
is required to access glossary files.  The writer has the choice of
constructing a sign by its elements (hand shape, orientation, contact, etc.)
or by retrieving the sign from a glossary file."

I am not sure how accurate the above used to be because, as you know, I am a
bit of a computer illiterate.  More to the point, I wonder how accurate this
description is today with all the high tech changes you have made.  So, I am
wondering if you (or anyone on the list) would like to very briefly rewrite
this paragraph so that I am not shortchanging SignWriter in my final draft.

Thank you.

James

Ps.:  And don't you all go asking for copies of this paper.  It won't tell
you anything you do not already know and, in any case, I will post it on the
list as soon as I learn how to use a scanner for the photographs.