new methods for signwriting input

Guylhem Aznar swl at EXTERNE.NET
Wed Oct 29 21:27:31 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:22:14 -0700
Valerie Sutton <Sutton at SignWriting.org> wrote:
> Antonio Carlos is the developer of SWML. Daniel Noelpp is working on
> updating SignWriter Java. Stuart Thiessen is hoping to work on Unicode
> and TrueType. Michael Everson, the Unicode expert, has already
> established a Unicode project with the international committee. Steven
> Aerts and Bart Braem in Belgium are the programmers who just did some
> SVG...and there are plenty more programmers who come and go on this
> List ;-))

Wow- a very active effort! I hope I can contribute :-)

> Some SignWriting members visit me occasionally, but when they do, they
> are working alone with me in my home...A couple of times, groups of
> Deaf people come to visit me, from different countries, and certainly,
> as a programmer using SignWriting, Guylhem, you will be welcome to work
> with me....But I cannot promise any Deaf people to be here too...that
> depends on who else is visiting at the time...Are you Deaf yourself?

No, I'm just very interested in languages [besides french, I speak english,
spanish, danish, some german and I'm learning brazilian portugueese] and after
my 1st year in med school, I took the opportunity of a long summer of vacation
to become familiar with sign language.

Yet that was a long time ago, and I need some reharsal. My PhD this year offers
me the tremendous opportunity to enhance my french sign language and learn
brazilian !

> Meanwhile there is an internet community that uses SignWriting. Plus
> you can witness Deaf children using SignWriting in Germany, Brazil,
> Switzerland, Nicaragua and New Mexico...so you might want to contact
> the groups in those countries, to go to visit them to observe Deaf
> people using SignWriting...

Actually I'm looking for funds to visit Pr Da Rocha Costa in Brasil.
I would like to see how SW is being used, and how exactly I can help.

> I noticed that Antonio Carlos gave you a big welcome and invitation to
> visit them in Brazil and that would be fantastic! Deaf children are
> using SignWriting in Brazil and that would be an excellent way for you
> to study the deaf using the writing system...visit Marianne's classes -

So I could see how to make SW entry faster and easier. I currently have 2 ideas
- an on-screen keyboard which would enable SW entry in standard applications,
and a Palm-like writing recognition system for people who prefer writing. It
would make SW usuable on PDAs, TabletPC, ...

> she is a teacher of the deaf in Brazil and is Deaf herself...Please see
> the attached photo of one of her students...

Very interesting - may I include it in my research project description ?
Real life experience with SW can help me proove how valuable a better computer
support could be.

--
*@externe.net ![guylhem at oeil.qc.ca->@metalab.unc.edu->@ibiblio.org->@7un.org]
http://externe.net/geekcode http://externe.net/photos http://externe.net/zaurus