ASL Grammar

Jessi jessi at BMOUNTS.COM
Thu Oct 30 05:18:42 UTC 2003

I know almost nothing about ASL or SignWriting, so, logically enough, I'm writing a paper for an introductory linguistics class about ASL and SignWriting.  I never would have guessed a week ago that my paper would go this way, but my research has been incredibly fascinating so far, so I'm certainly not complaining.

I realize I'm about to ask an incredibly complicated question that could be answered with a book, but I need to have some basic knowledge of how the grammars ASL and English differ.  I understand that the two have almost nothing in common and that ASL has signs that simply don't translate into English, but I'm fuzzy on the specifics.  Can anyone help me out or at least point me in the right direction to find out more?

Thanks.

Jessica