James needs a new SW printer

Wed Sep 10 15:35:48 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
September 10, 2003

Dear SW List Members, and James -
Thanks for your message below, James, and welcome back from Nicaragua!
I hope your Deaf students in Nicaragua had a good learning session with
SignWriting...

I am posting my answer to your question about printers (below), to the
SW List, since when it comes to hardware...I certainly am no more of an
expert than anyone else...So maybe others on the List can help too...

You want to know what printer to buy to print with SignWriter DOS?

Well...the issue of printers is very complex, because it depends on
your operating system, and your machine...

Generally SignWriter DOS was designed to work with Laster Printers,
with Postscript...So if you could purchase a laser printer with
Postscript features, that would be the best...

If you cannot find that machine, then you could do something
else...Within SignWriter DOS itself, you could save your SignWriter
files to a postscript file, and then you could create a PDF file and
print that PDF on any printer...that is why I developed that feature,
so that people would not have printing problems any longer...

However, you would need to learn how to do that...here are instructions
if you want to try that:

SW Document 53 on this web page:
http://www.signwriting.org/library/pdf/pdf008.html

I believe Judy told me that you own Acrobat?...

Anyway...get a laser printer with postscript if you can...

Or learn to use other programs...I will be sending you your membership
CD today, James, with SIGNBANK FOR EVERYDAY USE....so you can give that
a try...

Val ;-)