SignWriting-style notation for oral languages?

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Sep 24 10:38:01 UTC 2003

Val & everybody,

Thanks for these links. I found them very interesting but particularly
Chapter 7 of the History of Sign Writing at
http://www.signwriting.org/library/history/hist008.html

As a newcomer to the game I suppose it's only natural that the "old ways"
tend to make me shake my head and move on  :)  I've been reading Star
Goddess (not that I find the ASL easy, but it does show me how SW gets
things accomplished!) and I do find it a bit irritating having to
re-establish the body centreline with every new sign. An easy sort of thing
to say with hindsight, I suppose!

Did you ever write that Cursive SignWriting book? I'd like to obtain a copy
:)

The full version of SW44 arrived, thanks!! I've started on the BSL
dictionary but I do find it much easier to write signs by hand and then
enter them at the computer than to enter them directly at the computer! So
it's all still offline so far  :)

I also tried putting a children's story into BSL SW but alas, this is still
way beyond me. How those kids manage to learn it so fast I'll never know!

Sandy