SEARCHING FOR SIGNS BY HANDSHAPE

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 2 17:54:48 UTC 2004

Responding to Valerie,

Though I don't know Flemish, I was able to follow the parsing of the ASL signs included very well.  They've done an excellent job.  I don't know if my SW files are readable any more due to file corruption when they were created, but if anyone wants to try, at least from my limited sample set, I have attached my SW001.dic, which should contain more than the original set supplied.

Also, as an example, is a sign which LIBRAS uses as "cachorro quente", literally "hot dog".  It's the mime of a hot dog in a bun, which interestingly enough, I never saw in Brazil cooked in that fashion.  The "cachorro quente" there was cut in half lengthwise, cooked and then put into a flatbread sandwith with a lot of condiments, and then cooked on a double-sided waffle iron kind of thing.

The SW001.dic database should also contain a lot of medieval sign language from various sources as well as some Libras, though not all of the original .dic files from Brazil.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
April 2, 2004

SEARCHING FOR SIGNS BY HANDSHAPE
This already exists, both in SignBank, and also on the web with the new
Belgian dictionaries online. Right now two dictionaries are on the web,
the ASL one with 3,100 signs and the Flemish one, with over 6,000
signs...

If you have typed a LIBRAS dictionary in SignWriter DOS, in the future
you will be able to send the .dic and .din files to the Belgian
programmers, and their converter in SWML will create an online
dictionary of the entire LIBRAS dictionary in the good-looking symbols
of SignWriter Java in a matter of minutes..and place it on the web as a
web dictionary that can be searched by handshape...at least that is the
goal...perhaps the program is not ready yet for that phase....the
program is under development.

Right now, you can search for signs by handshape on the their ASL
dictionary. Go to:

http://plantijn.ruca.ua.ac.be/~aertsbraem/ASL/visueelzoeken.php

and start searching by handshape!

Val ;-)