Computers that work with SignWriting...;-)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 1 16:35:29 UTC 2004

Valerie,

It's Windows 98, and it is only in graphics heavy programs that I don't have enough.  You are used to graphics heavy documentation, I am used to technical writing, not graphics applications.  A 500-page novel can be fit on one floppy in 1.4 MB.  So far, until this moment, what I have has been fine for my needs.  I am looking forward to the day that SW does not take a 100 MB CD to load a single letter but can be typed in hundreds of lines as a 10K file.  This one paragraph takes 1K to load, in SW it would probably be about a 100k file.

My better bet would be to get a MAC solely for SignWriting applications.

If our machines break down, and we don't have graphics-heavy programs, then we are stuck in the present mode of requiring TONS of Terabytes just to open a file.

I'm not exaggerating.  I get very tired of people demanding more and more Gigawatts to run very simple programs.  Memory is relatively cheap, but the programs that run it (like Windows 98) are extremely memory hungry.

I am also dirt poor right now, do not have any credit anywhere to buy a larger computer even at give away prices.  Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

On top of that, most of my other technical editing does require Windows 2000 for most of their technical writing, though they can function in Windows 98, so if I were to get the software for what I require to make a living, I will be shut out of SW altogether.

Horns of a dilemma.

Charles Butler

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
April 1, 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 4:07 PM, Charles Butler wrote:
> HI, Val, I have a NEC computer, running Windows 97, with a 500 MB
> drive.  I really need an upgrade to a DELL or better with Windows
> 2000.

It would be a bad idea to get a Windows 2000 computer, if you want to
use SignWriting. SignWriter DOS does not work on Windows 2000.

SignWriter DOS only works on Windows 95, 98, 98se, and ME. SignWriter
Java works on all operating systems, if you have the proper version of
Java installed.

I have never heard of Windows 97, which you mention above. Are you sure
it isn't 98?

And the 500 MB hard drive, which is terribly small, and makes it
impossible for you to install much of anything...was actually not my
question. I wanted to know how much internal memory you had...but now I
see, if you don't have a hard drive that is at least 1 gigabyte, you
can barely function in modern software...Val ;-)