[sw-l] New Version of SignBank based on the IMWA...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Aug 29 15:33:56 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
August 29, 2004

Dear SignWriting List Members:
Now that the new International Movement Writing Alphabet (IMWA) is in
SymbolBank, it is necessary for me to re-do all the SignSpellings data
in SignBank, using the new symbol numbers of the IMWA. The
SignSpellings are extremely important, because without them, our
dictionaries cannot sort by Sign-Symbol-Sequence. And all the
sophisiticated searches by symbols and symbol-groups cannot be done in
SignBank, without the SignSpelling data too...

So I am now re-entering the SignSpellings based on the IMWA numbers. As
soon as that is done, I hope to post the new version of SignBank,
called SignBank For Research Use, on the web, free for download, which
includes the full IMWA in SymbolBank, as well several hundred ASL signs
with illustrations.

I will write as soon as that is ready!

Then, the next job is to re-number the SSS-US symbolset, to match the
numbers of the IMWA. As you know, the IMWA sets the world standards
now, for all numbering of symbols in the entire writing system...so it
is giving us standardization...which will be very helpful for future
programs!

You can download a PDF document, listing all the symbols of the IMWA
version 1.0:

SSS-2004 IMWA
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0160-sss2004-IMWA.pdf

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

2. SignBankSite
http://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

3. DanceWritingSite
http://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

4. MovementWritingSite
http://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

5. SymbolBank On The Web
www.MovementWriting.org/symbolbank
Archive For All Symbols

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

SIGNWRITING LIST

1. POST MESSAGES TO SIGNWRITING LIST
SW-L at MAJORDOMO.VALENCIACC.EDU

2. READ MESSAGES IN THE ARCHIVES
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/sw-l.html
http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/hypermail/sw-l/

3. CHANGE YOUR SIGNWRITING LIST EMAIL SETTINGS
http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/majordomo