AW: [sw-l] How to Send SW Email

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Thu Aug 12 17:45:24 UTC 2004

Hi Stephen,

know what - I am so grateful for your quick and long response. Thank so much
for your effort to explain all my questions. I will try to follow your
instructions and will let you know ! ;-)

Thanks again

Stefan ;-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]Im Auftrag von Stephen
Slevinski
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. August 2004 21:00
An: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Betreff: RE: [sw-l] How to Send SW Email

Hi Stefan,

---Umlauts---
I do not think internationally.  So I've never used non-ascii characters
with Sign Puddle.

It can be possible to use special German characters with Sign Puddle.
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/SGN-WO/dict/sl/test%e4.png

However, special encoding and decoding will be required before it will work
properly.  I'm not sure how much work this will require.  I'll keep looking
into it and let you know.

---Uploading files---
Sign Puddle can use either png or gif for the dictionary, but not both at
the same time.  SignBank has been setup to use png for the dictionary
images.

The max file size that can be uploaded is configured by the webserver.  I
don't know SignBank's max file size.

There are no other restrictions.  There is one guideline though.  The
underscore _ is a special character for Sign Puddle and should not be used
for sign names.  .  If underscores are used, the signs may not appear on the
search screen.  If words need to be connected for the gloss, use a dash -.
I will be changing the upload code so that underscores _ are automatically
converted to dashes -.

---Searching and Email---
The best way to search for signs while using email is to open another
window.  When you are creating an email, right-click on the Search title.
Then select Open in New Window.

If it would be helpful, I could add a search section at the bottom of the
email page.  Then users could email and search on the same page.  Let me
know what you think.

---Sending email to the list---
I do not think it would be a good idea to have the sw-list email as the
default To field.  Many users of the email feature are not on the list.
This may cause confusion.

If you want to default the To field, add one of the following addresses to
your favorites section:
sw-list for ASL
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/SGN-US/email.php?to=sw-l@majordomo.valenc
iacc.edu

sw-list for DSL
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/SGN-DE/email.php?to=sw-l@majordomo.valenc
iacc.edu

Opening one of these links will default the To field.

---Other than that---

Let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions,
-Stephen