[sw-l] TrueType formatting for SignWriting symbols...

Sun Aug 22 23:22:44 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
August 22, 2004

  Bill Reese wrote:
> Now I'm curious to see how a sign, like say ... "house", could be
> italicised.  Is there examples?  From the days of  handwriting signs?

Hello Bill -
Go to this web page:

http://www.signwriting.org/catalog/sw214.html

Download the ASL font for Windows. Install it. Start a document. Change
to the Sutton font and start typing fingerspelling. Then highlight what
you typed, and choose different font formatting...Attached is an
example...I chose the outline format and the SignWriting was
automatically made hollow and outlined...I can see that we did not
build in the italics for those specific fonts, but if the TrueType is
sophisticated enough, then italics are designed as a part of the
font...it is just a matter of time before that will be a normal choice
when typing SignWriting...Stefan...do your fonts include the italics,
bold, outline and other formats?  Val ;-)