[sw-l] SignWriter DOS Tech Support

Sat Dec 4 16:14:30 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 4, 2004

Hello List, and Stuart and Brenda -
Thank you for this message...You make excellent points. In Brenda's
case, I would suggest that if Brenda can contact Pastor Ron Dettloff,
at the Deaf Church in Michigan, when Brenda moves close to that area in
January...perhaps Brenda can go to the Deaf Church to learn how to type
with SignWriter DOS?... They are skilled using the program and it might
help Brenda to get started...

Meanwhile, regarding running directly in DOS versus from Windows - I
agree. Running directly from DOS is much better...In fact, on the Mac
in Virtual PC, I use a version of Virtual PC that does not have windows
at all...it only has DOS...and it is much faster and cleaner...

Even when working directly in DOS, there is an old and rarely found bug
having to do with some keyboards. If a person touches the wrong key in
those rare cases, the whole program freezes whether you are in DOS or
Windows...but I am going to guess that Brenda may not have that
problem...I bet it is just a matter of practice and instruction and I
hope the Deaf Church can help to show Brenda the program...smile...

And yes...I love the typing element in SignWriter DOS and SignWriter
Java! I prefer to type too. And yes, I agree that creating a program
that has it all would be best...a way to drag and drop, and a way to
type directly as we have in SignWriter DOS...Stephen Slevinski has been
thinking that through, and started working on a program called
MovementWriter...but that is not ready yet...I hope we can develop more
programs that type directly in SignWriting symbols...

Talking of SignWriter DOS and Java, I am now going back to the
transcription of the ASL poem ONE HARBOR...Which I will do in those
programs...and Stefan has already done his in SignWriter DOS...

See next message...

Val ;-)