[sw-l] new name for SignWriting in the french speaking part of Switzerland

Sun Dec 5 15:07:31 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 5, 2004

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> In the french speaking part of Switzerland... SignWriting will be
> called "SignEcriture" from now on! Have a nice sunday....

Dear SW List, and Anne-Claude!
Thanks for this message. SignEcriture is a good choice and I am glad
you chose that one. It fits with the names of SignWriting in Spain and
other countries:

Spain: SignoEscritura
Latin America: SenaEscritura
Denmark & Norway: TegnSkrift
Germany: GebaerdenSchrift

and now we can add...

French-Switzerland: SignEcriture

You can see that it is close to Spain's choice...

In Brazil people call it SignWriting in English, even though they speak
Portuguese...and I have asked some Brazilians about that and they told
me that they prefer to keep it in its original name...and that is fine
too!