[sw-l] left-handed or right-handed?

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Dec 6 17:20:03 UTC 2004

Well, I haven't taught children, but it seems to me it depends on the
way we teach it.  If we are teaching dominant vs. non-dominant, then it
should not matter much ... I would think.  But again, Charles brings up
an excellent point. There are times when it is a dominant vs.
non-dominant situation and there are times when it truly is a right vs.
left situation (when location is important ... Bob on the left talking
with Phil on the right.)

 From a programming point of view, if we want to implement your idea, we
would have to store some "metadata" that would allow us to mark a sign
according to its type.  Is it a dominant/non-dominant sign or a sign
that is dependent on true location?  But I can think of some scenarios
where it might be both. For example, the ASL for "to have surgery"
requires a location. Now, I have noticed we ASL signers tend to use the
non-dominant palm as a location to indicate generic surgery. But
suppose I wanted to emphasize a particular location for the surgery,
then the sign becomes location-specific. So it actually fits both
categories depending on my intent.  Computers hate that ;). So the
metadata for that sign would have to specify when it was
location-specific and when it is dominant/non-dominant.

Thanks,

Stuart