[sw-l] left-handed or right-handed?

Mon Dec 6 17:48:52 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 6, 2004

List members, Sandy, Stephen, Kathleen, Kristof, Charles, Stuart -

Charles and Stuart are correct. When we are writing real Sign Language
sentences...then the signs become alive, and they are not the same as
cold entries in a dictionary...When we are typing directly in
SignWriting, without copying signs from dictionaries, the typing
experience gives us the ability to write the body shifting to the right
or left of center...in vertical writing, that is called
Sign-Lanes...some signs are produced in the center of the body...but
some are over to the left or over to the right, and that has to do with
grammar, and has nothing to do with right or left handed signing...so
when a signer is really saying something, no longer can left or right
be looked at the same way, as in a dictionary entry...and for right now
at least, I would be concerned at standardizing right and left handed
signing, since we still need a flexible writing system, since most of
these signed languages have not been researched yet...

So meanwhile, there is this new program SignText which is the first in
history to create Sign-Lanes...so you can place a sign to the right or
left by saying which Sign-Lane it belongs in...This is a wonderful step
forward...but...we will need both right and left handed signs for
writing in the Sign Lanes, because the right and left handed signs
interchange sometimes, because of grammer issues...

Val ;-)