[sw-l] Question about symbol

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 7 00:10:32 UTC 2004

Following "sign spelling rules" the hand goes up and then back which means the arrow is "above" the hand on the page.  Because the orientation of the hand changes, I would think you'd show both orientations and a shoulder line to show the end position.  How's this everyone?

Stuart Thiessen <sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG> wrote:
I am a little confused about the symbol for a backwards arc (

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/png name=image.png; x-unix-mode=0666
). For other arrows, I can understand how to place a handshape before
and after the movement to show starting and ending orientations or
handshapes. How do I do this with this arrow? Starting and ending
positions technically are in the same position.

How do others handle this? My example situation is the sign for BEFORE
in ASL that I am transcribing from a video. It starts in neutral space
with the left hand mostly face down and the back of the right hand
contacting the back of the left hand and then moving in a backward arc
over the shoulder and a little past the shoulder. I am trying to figure
out how to show the right hand beginning in a palm face-up orientation
then ending in a palm facing the body orientation. Plus there is the
question of how to show that it leaves neutral space to go over the
shoulder.

Thanks,

Stuart