[sw-l] Downloading the IMWA and SSS-1999

Wed Dec 8 15:22:09 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 8, 2004

Sandy and Everyone -
I just downloaded the file and had no trouble unzipping it and opening
it...So I don't think there is anything wrong with Stephen's file. The
problem probably is that the IMWA has a lot of symbols, and maybe
Windows 98 cannot handle 25,000 little files being unzipped all at
once...

Meanwhile, Windows XP and Mac OS X are both modern operating systems,
and those are the operating systems that Stephen and I are using...so
maybe working with the IMWA needs more modern operating systems...

That makes sense, since when Windows 98 was the modern operating
system, we developed SignWriter DOS 4.4 and that was our biggest symbol
set...which was SSS-1995. That was why I suggest SSS-1999, because it
is used in SW-Edit and SignWriter Java, and is a smaller symbolset made
for older computers...

And just because I suggested that you do your own computer program,
Sandy, doesn't mean you should- smile...We just don't have time to
implement your idea of variants right now, thats all...

Anyway, if you want to download the SSS-1995 or the SSS-1999, go to:

http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/symbolbank.html#SSS952002

Val ;-)

On Dec 8, 2004, at 5:45 AM, Stephen Slevinski wrote:

> Hi Sandy,
>
> I don't know what might be wrong with the zip file.  It was created on
> linux.  I was able to unzip it on XP.
>
> If you want to try again, I have recreated the zip file with XP:
> http://signbank.org/signpuddle/downloads/SSS-2004-png-xp.zip
>
> -Stephen

>>> huge. Since SW-Edit downloads quite quickly it's obviously not using