[sw-l] SignWriting Handwriting and Shorthand...

Wed Dec 8 16:21:48 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 8, 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, Marianne Stumpf in Brazil wrote:
> I am very interested in the shorthand. I think it´s important to our
> progress. In one of your papers you said it seems more flexible,
> intuitive etc…faster to write, is the obvious. I feel the same. You
> say also “it has rules, too”. I am tryng to find these rules. Can you
> help me with these rules? I would be able to observ some patterns.
> Thank you every time! Cheers, Marianne

Dear SW List and Marianne!
Thank you for this question. Your Deaf students will enjoy writing by
hand. I am posting this to the SignWriting List, because there are
other List members who are writing by hand with their Deaf students
too...

First, SignWriting Shorthand is not the same as SignWriting
Handwriting. The Handwriting is what you want. The Shorthand is another
technique that is used to write movement at the speed it happens and
yes, it has rules, but it also requires training...and it not the same
as the Handwriting...

Here is a picture of SignWriting Shorthand, which is NOT the
Handwriting....See next message...