[sw-l] BELGIUM: 2 new flag-icons

Katrien Van Mulders katrien_vanmulders at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 14 19:46:43 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,

The official name of the sign language used in Wallonia is "Langue des Signes de Belgique Francophone" (LSBF) or "Belgian French-Speaking Sign Language" (http://www.ffsb.be/doc/LS/ls2.html). In Flanders the term "Waalse Gebarentaal" or "Walloon Sign Language" is frequently used. On the 8th TISLR conference in Barcelona however a (hearing) sign language researcher from Wallonia spoke of "Belgian Sign Language" in her poster presentation (for which she apologized to us later on, btw ;-). Although I am by no means in favour of the latter, "Belgian French-Speaking Sign Language" is no good alternative either. But then again, who am I to decide? Walloon Deaf people should be contacted concerning this :-)

Regards,

Katrien

Kasterlinden Bilinguaal <katjesaar at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

Hello,

I have forwarded this mail to Kristof. To ask him for his opinion. I think the flags look great! I don't know why 'Belgian' is spelled the way it is. Where's the head ;)

I have also made inquieries about the Walloon sign 'LSF' as they call it. It seems they use 'French' and not 'Walloon' (langue du signe Fran�ais) Go figure ;)

I will get to sending the right sign for 'LSF' as soon as possible.

Greetings Kathleen

http://mail.yahoo.com