[sw-l] Hi there! - and question re. empirical studies

Frauke L.Johns sw at SPIFFYTUNES.COM
Wed Dec 15 14:37:27 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I have been a "secret" reader of this brilliant list for a while, but
this is my first time as actual participant, so I'd like to introduce
myself:

I am currently preparing for my master's thesis. I am studying Sign
Languages, Applied Linguistics and Media Culture at the University of
Hamburg / Germany. For my last year's B.A. exams I have already worked
on various aspects of SignWriting-Projects and right now I am trying to
get all the information I can on empirical research projects regarding
SignWriting as I am thinking about conducting an empirical study within
my master's thesis . I know, that the approach taken so far is more of
an ethnographic one rather than statistical, but I do believe that
there are good possibilities combining the two - especially as
empirical research in the field of applied linguistics seems to get
more and more important to prove one's point.

I would be very greatful for any hints, ideas or clues you might have
regarding such empirical studies concerning SignWriting in any country.

Best regards,

Frauke Johns

--
B.A. Frauke L. Johns