[sw-l] Updating SWML-S for wiki publishing

Mon Dec 20 17:27:23 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 20, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> I am update SWML-S.  Feedback requested.

Dear SW List and Stephen!
What a priviledge, to be able to discuss creating documents in vertical
columns! This is something we have been waiting for, for soooo long!
smile....

There are actually two important elements that help the reader read
correctly, when looking at a vertical column of SignWriting. One is the
placement of the head/facial circle. That helps establish the center of
the vertical column.

But there is a second factor too. And it is the stable factor. The
Punctuation Symbols, which are horizontal, are always placed in the
center of the vertical column, no matter whether signs are to the left
or right of center...So the Punctuation Symbols establish "the center"
too...they remain stable no matter what happens to the head/facial
circle...

I am sorry if I did not explain this properly before...Your work,
Stephen, is helping all of us learn to teach vertical writing...

Please see the attached example. The writing at the top is taken from
an old document which I prepared myself, not in SignText, but long ago,
I placed the signs one by one in columns inside Photoshop! Notice how
the Punctuation Symbols are establishing the center of each column.

Then below that, are the columns (at the moment) in SignText...can you
see how the Punctuation Symbols need to be moved to the center?...I
hope this is not a huge programming job for you, Stephen...

Thanks for doing so much!  Val ;-)