[sw-l] left-handed or right-handed?

Katrien Van Mulders katrien_vanmulders at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 6 18:38:20 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I agree with Kathleen that the Flemish Sign Language Dictionary can be confusing for those who know no (Flemish) Sign Language or SignWriting. Maybe I could add some information (to the 'information' section) to clarify a thing or two ;-)

Katrien

Kasterlinden Bilinguaal <katjesaar at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

Hello list,

thank you for all this information :o) This will help me a lot.

I've been busy in the flemish dictionary making both right-handed and left-handed signs. I put the lefthanded word under 'beer_2, Goudlokje_2'... The lefthanded sign is always '_2'  I will send the 2 storybooks to Val. You can check it out for yourself ;) And Val, you will be pleased to know I had already come to the conclusion myself that the arrows change when you write lefthanded signs. ;)

later                                        later_2

Meanwhile I will try out a few things in my classes. Out of the 20 students, 2 are left-handed. I will let you know the results. ;)

In my opinion we must not forget these children. Ofcourse they have to learn to read right-handed signing because it is most common. But not trying because they are a minority? Sorry, I don't agree. Minority groups are always pushed back.

I agree that the dictionary can be mostly righthanded signs! But I was just thinking. Take a look at http://gebaren.ugent.be  If hearing people, who know no signwriting and want to learn it as well as signs they can get confused. Because Kristof makes most signs, he is lefthanded. If people look at the signwriting and then look at Kristof.. will they know the difference?

Kathleen