[sw-l] Are We Going in the Wrong Direction?

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Thu Dec 9 21:38:18 UTC 2004

Sandy and list,

Lanes are not an unnecessary complication.  Lanes can add a richness and
clarity to SignWriting grammar.  Lanes are not always needed.  But when
lanes are used properly, nothing can replace their simplicity and
effectiveness.  If each symbol can have a x,y coordinate, I don't understand
why each sign couldn't have a lane.

I believe using oral-processing word processors is wishful thinking.  The
differences between linear langauge and spatial language, for data entry and
display, is too vast.  Although I would be interested in seeing a proof of
concept, if you can get something working.

-Stephen