[sw-l] Unicode

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Dec 13 15:24:09 UTC 2004

Well, I have had some discussions with people who are actively involved
with Unicode proposals with non-Roman languages.  This is what I
understand needs to be done. I am still dialoguing with them about how
we can get these things sorted out.

1) We need to determine what is the linear encoding of SignWriting. How
will the SignWriting be stored? That will let us know if there are any
other "formatting" symbols that need to be taken into consideration. A
linear encoding does not preclude the use of SWML. In fact, where SWML
now specifies a string for the symbol, a Unicode character for that SW
symbol can be placed there. That would reduce some of the size of SWML.

2) We need to determine the functional load placed on the various
elements of the process.  How much does the font do?  How much does the
renderer do?  For example, if the renderer can handle the rotations,
then why put that into the font? We have to assess the pros and cons to
put the load here or there. Another example might be the various sizes
of arrows.  Is that something that should be in the font or is that
something the renderer handles as a % of the size of the regular arrow?
Those are some of the discussions necessary.

3) Once that is all determined, then we need to discuss with the
Unicode people about assigning enough points for SignWriting. Then, we
need to create the font that has all the symbols we have determined
need to be in the system and develop the rules for the renderers so
they can render SignWriting. Then programmers can work with the
rendering engines and the rules that have been defined and not have to
work with the details of rendering quite as much.

Thanks,

Stuart