AW: [sw-l] MundbildSchrift

Wed Dec 15 22:48:45 UTC 2004

Hi Sandy, Valerie and ...

"1.  There's a difference between Mundbildschrift for teaching speech (eg M,
P and B would be written differently), and Mundbildschrift for writing sign
languages (where M, P and B are all the same), isn't that right?"

Yes that is almost right (smile)

I use for "N", "D" , "T" only one symbol since it is difficult to lipread
the difference,

.. "G", "K", "R"  are represented also by only one symbol!

.. There is no symbol for the German "H" since you cannot see this at all
... ;-((

There is no difference between voiceless and voiced - sounds (S vs. SS, or P
vs. B )

The best would be to study the overviews which are to be found on webside.

http://www.gebaerdenschrift.de/images/download/Mundbilder%20GebaerdenSchrift
%20Sprechbewegung%20SW%20Beispiel.pdf

2.  Do you have two different names for these or do you call them both
"Mundbildschrift"?

Yes there are two different names !!!

Mundbildschrift is the system that supports articulation! This has nothing
to do with GebaerdenSchrift!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but -

"Sprechbewegungen in der GebärdenSchrift"   is the term for my mouthsymbols
within GebaerdenSchriftdocuments.

3.  If I were to design a keyboard for typing in one sign language only, do
you think I should enable typing of the full Mundbildschrift for teaching
voice, or just the version for typing the sign language? I suppose they
could be chosen as options.

I would not care about the Mundbildschrift (smile) I have already designed a
keyboard and developed a TT - Font that allows me to type Mundbildschrift
just like German!!  Just a matter of learning where to find the symbols!!

Thanks for your interest!

Stefan ;-))

> But now, Sandy...there is a huge difference between the words
> GebaerdenSchrift and MundbildSchrift...

Now I get it!

OK, what I need is Mundbildschrift and I think everything I need is on
Stefan's site (apart from one thing I needed to add for a Scottish accent!).

I have questions for Stefan:

1.  There's a difference between Mundbildschrift for teaching speech (eg M,
P and B would be written differently), and Mundbildschrift for writing sign
languages (where M, P and B are all the same), isn't that right?

2.  Do you have two different names for these or do you call them both
"Mundbildschrift"?

3.  If I were to design a keyboard for typing in one sign language only, do
you think I should enable typing of the full Mundbildschrift for teaching
voice, or just the version for typing the sign language? I suppose they
could be chosen as options.

I'm currently trying to design a keyboard layout for the US-SSS - I think
restricting the keyboard to one language will make for a fast, easy typing
system. If this works (I've had several failed attempts but my latest effort
seems to be working out) I'd use the experience to make up a GB-SSS and
design a keyboard layout for that. I'm not attempting Adam's idea of
designing a complete IMWA keyboard!

Sandy