Will SignWriting ever become ...

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Wed Jan 7 15:42:20 UTC 2004

Hello Val and list,

A few years ago, when I first joined the list, Wayne and I compared
Signwriting to oriental languages - particularly Japanese - since they
use characters to write with.  That's always been at the back of my mind
and, in the same way as what happened with Japanese, I wonder if
Signwriting would also evolve from the pictoral form.  I spent a little
time imagining that this morning and took a look at a couple name signs
that were recently posted to the list.

I looked at the components of the signs and tried to determine the
simplest way of writing them, using only as much as may be necessary and
using only lines as much as possible - to increase the writing speed.
Now I'm sure I left off a lot.  This was just a fun exercise.  But ...
can you imagine in a few hundred years, the name signs for Yitzi and
Baruch could become ...

:-)
Bill