Fw: Sign-Names posted by Michel Turniansky

Devias hdevias at TUTOPIA.COM
Sat Jan 10 01:42:20 UTC 2004

SW List and Michael Turniansky

Thank you for your explanation. I see now ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Turniansky <turnip at bcpl.net>
To: hdevias at TUTOPIA.COM <hdevias at TUTOPIA.COM>
Date: Friday, January 09, 2004 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Sign-Names posted by Michel Turniansky

Valerie is correct that those are the names of me, my wife and
children.  As Orthodox Jews, though, my children are all named in
Hebrew, so you are also (mostly) correct.  I say mostly, because Rashi
isn't a name from the scriptures, but the name of a famous commentator
who lived in France about 1000 years ago.  Also, Shaindel isn't Hebrew,
but Yiddish, meaning "pretty" (hence the name sign, derived from the ASL
for pretty).  Yitzi full name is Yisrael (Israel) Tzvi ("deer" in
Hebrew), but we call him Yitzi for short.  Baruch ("blessed") does
appear in the Bible, as the secretary of Jeremiah, and Yehuda is Judah,
the son of Jacob  (and in actuality, our Yehuda's first name is named
directly after the Biblical figure, not after a deceased relative, as
the others are) .

   You can see their pictures at my homepage of
http://www.bcpl.net/~turnip/turnip.html
                            --Mike Turniansky