SignWriting Report: Working on SSS-2004

Thu Jan 15 15:00:33 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
January 15, 2003

On Jan 15, 2004, at 3:43 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:
> Agreed. Terrific ...
> Have looked through it, and it seems so familar, and yet new ... You
> are
> amazing.

Dear SW List, Stefan and Ingvild!
Thanks to you both for taking the time to look at the SSS-2004 Keyboard
design...You are right that it is very close to our old SignWriter DOS
keyboard design, except that the Movement Symbols row is now in
Sign-Symbol-Sequence from left to right, with the Dynamics Key moved up
on the upper row, on Key 7. In the top row to the right, the two
Full-Body Keys will incorporate all DanceWriting symbols, including
traveling movement and group-dance symbols. So this is becoming a way
to type DanceWriting and all gesture, as well as SignWriting.

And then there is the dilemma of soooo many symbols. The only way to
handle typing all that, is to pile the known handshapes under the Keys
using the Variations Key, so that related symbols will be available by
tapping on a key. Plus, under one of the Full-Body Keys, we will have
the ability to construct new handshapes and symbols. I am writing a
tiny paper on Handshape Construction Rules, so hopefully the typist
will not have problems constructing a new handshape, when the need
arises...