SignWriting Report: Working on SSS-2004

Wed Jan 14 21:06:17 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
January 14, 2003

Dear SW List Members:
The year 2004 is a milestone for SignWriting. Finally we will have a
symbol-set, the SSS-2004, that lists every symbol in the entire
Movement Writing system, including all symbols used in DanceWriting,
MimeWriting, and of course SignWriting. The SSS-2004 is equivalent to
the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) for spoken languages, except
we are writing movement instead of sound, so another name for the
SSS-2004 is: The International Movement-Writing Alphabet, or the IMWA -
ha!

The IMWA, SSS-2004, is scheduled to be released in March, 2004. That is
why you are not hearing much from me lately. I am working on it night
and day. If you would like to follow my progress, check the SymbolBank
web site from time to time:

SymbolBank
http://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank

There you will find new PDF documents, documenting the SSS-2004 in
different ways. For example, I have just completed the design of the
SSS-2004 keyboard. Go to the web site to download the PDF document.
Here is a diagram...as you can see, even though the IMWA is a huge
symbol-set, it can be typed on 40 keys. Symbol-variations are hidden
under these 40 basic keys: