[sw-l] Hinge Hand 01-05-036 and PUDL

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 12 15:39:15 UTC 2004

It's not so much that "I don't like" the sign, but I'd like to find the person who wrote the sign to begin with, and verify that they are in fact writing the sign as their hands are doing it.  Is it in fact the left hand that they intend to write?  This was a constant problem in Brazil, so it may be an editorial process in the U.S.  As this was uploaded, I think, from the SW archives, I'm trying to trace back the origin of the writing.

A dictionary, for me, should at least be consistent in the use of the left or right hand for display purposes unless signing with the left or right hand actually changes the meaning of the sign, which, at least for now, I have not yet found an example of the same sign using either hand as dominant meaning something different.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
July 12, 2004

Hello Charles and Everyone!
I see. Ok. Well...as I said, I have to change the SSS-US to the new
numbers of the IMWA, and I haven't done that yet...so I will repost the
SSS-US document with the new numbers shortly...The new IMWA documents
that I am posting are the final numbers...but I can see how confusing
this is...hopefully standarization will become the norm soon...smile
;-))

Regarding the PUDL site, it is a wonderful dictionary. But of course,
if there is a sign that you feel you do not like, you can re-write it
and place your version in the PUDL site...that is one of the wonderful
features of PUDL - the ability to post your own signs...Have you tried
that?

Val ;-)

On Jul 12, 2004, at 8:18 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

> Where did I get SSS 41?
>
> Off the SSS-US chart.  It is number 41 in the listing.  It's graphic
> number is
>
> www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0120-SSS-US.pdf
>
> 01-05-026 as you said.
>
> I am still trying to understand the rotation as the symbol seems to be
> lefthanded on the sign in the PUDL list.
>

> Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> June 12, 2004
>
> Charles Butler wrote:
> > This looks, to me, like the Hinge Hand (SSS 41), not the "g" hand
> > (Thumb-finger Open hinge (SSS 74) I have seen before.  If it is the
> > "Hinge" hand, then the sign is either lefthanded, or the right hand
> is
> > really twisted around because of the thicker fingers on the right
> side
> > of the chin.
>
> Dear SW List, and Charles:
> Yes. That is the Hinge Hand...Please see the attached diagram.
>
> The Hinge Hand is 01-05-036...smile...
>
> Where did you get the number SSS 41? Just curious...Val ;-)
>

> > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=Hinge.jpg; x-mac-type=4A504547;
> x-unix-mode=0644; x-mac-creator=3842494D

To unsubscribe: send mail to
with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.
Hosted by Valencia Community College, Orlando, FL
http://valenciacc.edu