[sw-l] From gloss to SignWriting, SWML, or animation

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Sat Jul 17 00:43:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Stephen Slevinski wrote:

> Has anyone tried VSign before?  http://vsigns.iti.gr

> If you enter a gloss, you can view 3 different outputs: SignWriting,
> SWML, video animation.  Very cool stuff.

 	It is!  Although the animation of "cat" that I tried came out in
the wrong place, it's still very good, and essentially what I was aiming
for with SignSynth.  The most important step is that they let you see the
SignWriting, so that it's clear there's no automatic equivalence between
speech and signs.  Although they should really allow someone to input
SignWriting or paste arbirary SWML.

 	There's more about it in a paper here:
<http://www.iti.gr/db.php/en/publications/details/591.html>.  They cite my
article, and seem to have implemented some of the ideas in it.

 					-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
 					Linguistics Department
 					University of New Mexico
 					grvsmth at unm.edu
 					grvsmth at panix.com

with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.