[sw-l] ASL Mouth Movements 1 of 2 (Modified by Valerie Sutton)

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue Jul 20 14:30:31 UTC 2004

The information in the [] is the "gloss" that I have seen for that
particular facial expression. On the subject of facial expressions, I
know that Keith Cagle has a workshop called "The Thousand Faces of ASL"
where he discusses this whole issue for ASL in detail.  I hope to get a
copy of that workshop and do some analysis. I think this could be one
way to convince hearing linguists of the value of SW.

Anyway, that aside, [cs] modifies the sign it is with to indicate that
something is very close.  It can be used with time (like RECENT) or it
can be used with space to talk about something "just around the corner"
or "just down the hall".

Thanks,

Stuart