[sw-l] How did you learn SignWriting?

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Jul 26 18:41:14 UTC 2004

Some of you may laugh at my approach (SMILE), but I actually used
Lucinda O'Grady-Batch's article to learn SignWriting. Since I knew ASL,
it was a fun exercise to try to "decode" the symbols.  I used Valerie's
textbook and Lucinda's article and then checked the meaning of the
symbols and tried them out against my knowledge of ASL signs and usually
I could figure out what the sign was.  That developed my ability to
read, but I am still working on my ability to write it. That is a normal
part of the process.  It is usually easier to be a reader than a writer.
Since then, I have used that method to educate people about SignWriting.

It is my hope when I can pull my attention from getting our organization
funded to being able to focus on our some of our goals, is to work on
developing those kinds of resources in tandem with others in the community.

Thanks,

Stuart