[sw-l] Hinge Hand 01-05-036 and PUDL

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Mon Jul 12 15:53:17 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
July 12, 2004

On Jul 12, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
> A dictionary, for me, should at least be consistent in the use of the
> left or right hand for display purposes unless signing with the left
> or right hand actually changes the meaning of the sign, which, at
> least for now, I have not yet found an example of the same sign using
> either hand as dominant meaning something different.

Dear SW List and Charles -
As a dictionary creator, of course you had to develop your own
guidelines for your specific dictionaries. But other dictionary
creators may not follow those guidelines..

Since reading a left-handed signer is the same experience as reading a
right-handed signer, in everyday conversations, it doesn't bother me
personally if a sign is left-handed or right-handed in a
dictionary...And in a public dictionary such as the PUDL dictionary, it
is bound to have differences like that...without knowing or following
any specific guidelines...So I guess you can't expect all dictionaries
to be exactly like yours...

There are also mistakes in every dictionary in the world...no matter
what the language...and some of those mistakes are not really mistakes,
but different interpretations...so you can only be responsible for your
own dictionary...and other dictionaries may have variations...

I have to get back to the IMWA, or we will never have standardization...

But I am glad that the List is working so well...and I hope you all
will keep posting messages, with or without me!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

2. SignBankSite
http://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

3. SymbolBank
http://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank
Symbol Archive For Entire System

SIGNWRITING LIST

1. POST MESSAGES TO SIGNWRITING LIST
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

2. READ MESSAGES IN THE ARCHIVES

3. CHANGE YOUR SIGNWRITING LIST EMAIL SETTINGS
http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/majordomo

with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.