[sw-l] For Programmers

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Fri Jul 16 13:49:13 UTC 2004

Hey, I just had a thought on the way to work today and thought I would
run this by all the other programmers on the list.  Have any of you
thought about the idea of a plugin for IE and Netscape/Mozilla, etc.
browsers that could display SWML? That plug-in could incorporate TT
Fonts or graphics depending on what is available to the plug-in. If it
is written well, the choice of TT or graphics could be an internal issue
for the plugin depending on whether the fonts are available or the
graphics are available.

Advantages to this being a proof of concept program:

- minimal user input: I think you could set it up so that the user only
indicates the height, width, maybe scroll bar options, and maybe
location on the page (or let the <DIV> markup with CSS take care of most
placement issues). Because there is minimal input, you can focus totally
on display issues.

- ability to utilize the web medium more effectively to promote
SignWriting: The more versatile it is to add information to the web, the
better off we are. Having a plug-in may also allow us to "wrap" the
Signwriting or even have the option of displaying horizontally or
vertically (depending on how smart that plugin is.)

- ability to leverage existing tools in the short term: While we are
waiting for SW Tiger or any of the other projects, we can at least use
the web more effectivelly and even print from the web if need be.

There may be other benefits that I could think of if I gave it some more
thought. On the other hand, I am not a plugin programmer so I am not
100% sure what other issues would be involved with writing a plugin for
IE or Netscape/Mozilla/etc.

Just a thought.  Maybe this could be a way to utilize Unicode and SW in
a proof of concept program.

Thanks,

Stuart

with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.